Out of gas
I am back home for another 20 hours. Here are some more travel bullets...
- The conference was good. Tons of great work presented and lots of ideas to ponder! There were lots of white background ppts. I like the growing populatity of the black background. Also, typos piss me off.
- I got to meet my old advisor's baby for the first time. She is so ridiculously cute it is just, well, ridiculous.
- I put in my requisite time drinking/networking-- even closing down the hotel bar not once, but twice!
- There are really good contacts and possibly two invited talks on my drive back to PA from those (and other) nights at the bar.
- I was only really unfortunately socially awkward once- to a very good friend/colleague to my lab. It was right before I had to go talk to MAJOR people and my nerves got the best of me. Sometimes I just shouldn't talk.
- Apparently, it is about time I started looking for a postdoc. Crap. More on this soon.
- V came to do some collecting the first few days of our trip. Yay for spending time in the same state as your spouse!
- Although I am here for 20 hours, I am going into school tomorrow before my flights and long drive back to DO.
- We are in the home stretch of this research position. In about a month I will start teaching again. This fall I have been given the opportunity to have my own class. I get to write the syllabus, lectures, tests- everything! AND it is an upper level course. It is going to be a lot of work and I might be crazy for trying to pull it off but I think I can do a really good job. That was my big announcement.
- Here is a kitty that tried to run away when we were gone. She came back the next morning.
- I am exhausted.